With single digit temperatures returning across the Midwest over the next 10 days, you could be headed for a frozen pipe encounter. The average claim for a frozen pipe is over $10,000 dollars…yikes! Take a few minutes to read these quick tips and you may just avoid all the headaches that come with a frozen pipe:
- Let water trickle out of faucets in unheated areas or where pipes run on an exterior wall.
- Open cabinets under sinks during severe cold spells; that lets warm air circulate around the pipes.
- Wrap exposed pipe with insulation (very affordable); that helps keep them warm.
- Caulk cracks and seal any holes in the wall to prevent cold air drafting.
- Lastly, KNOW where your whole house water shut off valve is AND BE SURE IT WORKS!!! (If you spring a leak do to a frozen pipe, the whole house shut off valve may be the only way you can stop the water from flowing into your home like Niagara Falls. Order our FREE valve tags and you can tag the whole house shut off valve so the whole family knows where it is!)
Tens of thousands of claims are filed each year for frozen pipes, follow the quick tips so you don’t become one of those messy statistics.